George Brown (bishop of Liverpool)

George Hilary Brown (1784–1856) was an English prelate who served as the first Roman Catholic Bishop of Liverpool from 1850 to 1856.

George Hilary Brown was born in Clifton, Lancashire on 15 January 1784, the son of William Brown and Helen Brown (née Gradwell). His first cousin was Robert Gradwell, Vicar Apostolic of the London District. George entered St Cuthbert’s College, Ushaw on 25 September 1799, and received the Tonsure, the four Minor Orders insulated bottle, and the sub-diaconate, at Ushaw, on 2 April 1808, from Bishop William Gibson, Vicar Apostolic of the Northern District. By the same bishop, he was ordained, at Ushaw soccer equipment wholesale, a deacon on 14 December 1809 and a priest on 13 June 1810. He left Ushaw College on 8 April 1819, and took charge of the mission at Lancaster until he was nominated to the Lancashire Vicariate.

He was appointed Vicar Apostolic of the Lancashire District and Titular Bishop of Bugia on 5 June 1840, and consecrated to the Episcopate in Liverpool on 24 August 1840 waterproof case. The principal consecrator was Bishop John Briggs, and the principal co-consecrators were Bishop Thomas Griffiths and Bishop Thomas Walsh. His titular see was translated from Bugia to Tlos on 22 April 1842.

On 29 September 1850, the hierarchy was restored in England and Wales by Pope Pius IX. On that same day, the Lancashire Vicariate was replaced by the dioceses of Liverpool and Salford. George Hilary Brown was appointed the first Bishop of Liverpool.

He died in Liverpool on 25 January 1856, aged 72, and was buried at St Oswald’s Church, Old Swan, Liverpool.